Renewal by Andersen® of Memphis, one of the top window installation companies, shares some amusing facts about windows.
1. The first glass windows are believed to be produced by the Roman Egyptians around 100 A.D. These windows are described as extremely thick that it’s almost impossible to see through them. It took a long time before windows became transparent.
2. Glass windows were considered a luxury during the late 1600s. Even the wealthiest families only had windows in the most important rooms in their homes. It was only in the early 17th century when glass windows became common in homes.
3. The average home in the U.S. has approximately eight windows. Meanwhile, the White House has a total of 147. This, however, is no match for the Buckingham Palace, which is home to 760 windows.
4. Stained glass windows are often found in churches and cathedrals. The method of making stained glass remains the same as from when it was originally created in the middle ages.
5. The Latin word for window is “fenestra,” which can be translated as “loophole,” “hole in the wall,” or “opening for light” — a rather fitting description for what windows are.
6. The U.S. Department of Energy estimates that 25% of the average household’s energy bill is due to faulty or leaky windows, glass doors, or skylights. By installing double-pane glass or energy efficient windows with ENERGY STAR® ratings, you can reduce your bill by around 15%.
7. Windows come in a variety of sizes, styles, and materials. These elements typically influence the cost of window replacement projects, so make sure to research the best windows for your home. Choosing the right window for your home is a significant step to ensuring indoor comfort and energy savings.
No need to look further than Renewal by Andersen of Memphis if you’re keen on getting ENERGY STAR windows. Our window products adhere to energy efficiency requirements, and they’re made from the top-quality materials. Call us at (901) 979-4460 or fill out our contact form to request a free consultation.