The entry door is a crucial yet underrated part of your exterior. It influences the architectural appearance of your property and contributes to ensuring a comfortable living experience at home. It is important to take good care of your exterior doors regularly in order to maintain a beautiful and efficient home all year round.
In today’s post, reliable window company Renewal by Andersen® of Memphis shares an essential guide to entry door cleaning and maintenance.
Cleaning Exterior Doors
Make sure to take some time to thoroughly clean your exterior doors on both sides a few times a year. A general rule of thumb is to perform cleaning and maintenance procedures in fall and spring seasons. This is because the outdoor weather is generally cooler and cozier. However, if you live in a coastal area, you may want to inspect your doors every month due to high moisture levels in the air.
Here are some tips to follow:
1. Use a gentle cleaner like a diluted dish soap when scrubbing steel, fiberglass or wood doors.
2. Avoid using abrasive tools as they can peel the protective coating of your entry door. Ideal choices are lint-free cloths and sponges.
3. Do not use a power washer when rinsing the door. It can cause water to enter your home through the seams.
4. Consider using a vinegar and water solution on glass panels for a clean, streak-free finish.
5. Work on one problem area of the door at a time.
Inspecting Exterior Doors
You need to routinely inspect your entry doors for any damage to the material or weatherstripping. This will help you identify small issues before they become bigger problems that are possibly too costly to fix, according to a window replacement service provider.
Here are the things you should look for:
1. Cracks in the frame or glass. Install a replacement panel as soon as you determine the extent of damage to the door itself or the components surrounding it.
2. Faded, chipped or peeling finish. Simply refinish your door to bring back its pristine condition.
3. Splits and signs of moisture damage. Replace the frame immediately to avoid dealing with serious water-related issues.
4. Fog between glass panels. The presence of fog indicates that moisture has escaped within the glass. It is likely that the seal between the glass is no longer intact and needs to be replaced.
Renewal by Andersen® of Memphis is a premier source of high-quality entry and patio doors as well as house window replacement in Tennessee. We aim to provide homeowners with a smooth and stress-free experience when transforming their dream homes into reality. Call us today at (901) 979-4460 or fill out our contact form to set up an appointment.